From the TRON Association
Top 10 TRON Association News Items in 1997
(Not in Chronological Order)
Activities to Spread ITRON Actively Carried Out
- Participated in the OSEK/VDX technical committee (related to an OS
for automotive use) and introduced ITRON (February)
- Gave a presentation in a technical session at Embedded Systems Solutions
'97 (Tokyo Ryutsu Center) (on recent trends on the ITRON specification
concerning the construction of "The Base Soft and Ware of a Computer
Reinforced Environment") (April)
- Held an ITRON Open Seminar under the title, "Challenges toward
Broader Application and New Standardization;" gathered a large number
of participants exceeding last year's number; the lecture on ITRON hard
real-time support drew attention (July)
- Put on an exhibit at Embedded Systems Conference '97 held in San Jose,
California (U.S.); also, held an ITRON Supporters Meeting and obtained
a large number of participants (September, October)
- Put on an exhibit at Microcomputer Systems & Toolware '97, and
gave an ITRON-related presentation in a technical seminar (November)
Activities to Spread TRON in Asia Became more Active
- Members of the TRON Association's secretariat were dispatched in cooperation
with the Sakamura Laboratory of the University of Tokyo in order to carry
out activities to spread the TRON Project at a trade fair (The 12th India
Engineering Trade Fair) held in New Delhi, India (February)
- A CTRON China Seminar was held, and the prize-winning entry of the
CTRON-specification-based OS contest from last year was introduced to China
as introductory/educational-use free software (Beijing, Shanghai in June,
- A BTRON, HMI, CHIP seminar was held; together with demonstrations of
1B and TiPO, demo software was distributed; and a lecture by Prof. Ken
Sakamura (University of Tokyo) titled "Our System of Operation BTRON"
drew attention (Beijing, Shanghai in July)
The TRON Association's proposal for "Development of a Multimedia
Network Service Platform" was chosen for the "Advanced Software
Enrichment Project" in which the Information-technology Promotion Agency,
Japan (IPA) publicly solicited proposals (this is the second TRON Association
proposal selected following last year's "Development of Base Technologies
for Computer Reinforced Environments") (March)
TRON Association-related Activities and Expansion Activities Gained
- Java Technology on ITRON-specification OS Technical Committee
- ITRON HRT [Hard Real-Time Support] Study Group
- RTOS Automotive Application Technical Committee
- Embedded TCP/IP Technical Committee
- Interface Design Study Group
- New participation in ITRON Technical Committee (2 cos. members, 7 cos.
New Revised Edition of the micro-ITRON3.0 Standard Handbook Published
Contents were filled out, and the entire text was improved to make it
easy to understand
A Survey on the Trends in the Examination Business Was Implemented
in Europe and America (U.S., Britain, Finland) (September)
Learned that a new system is being carried out in which testing is implemented
by having examinees receive test items via the Internet
TRONSHOW '97/TEPS '97 Held as Part of the 14th TRON Project International
- Main theme: "What the TRON Project is Aiming at in Japanese Language
Processing," "Technologies Supporting Open Academia"
- "Overcoming Barriers to Enjoyable Entertainment"
TRON multilingual processing and TRON-specification products played
an active part at the University of Tokyo's "Digital Museum" and
in the "Open Academia" exhibit, which was one of the events to
commemorate the 120th anniversary of the founding of the University of Tokyo.
In addition, a TRON-specification product played a role also as a rapid
reporting system for recording sporting competitions at the "Namihaya
National Athletic Meet,"
There Were Many Introductions/Announcements of New TRON-Specification-Related
Products and Technologies in 1997
- Seiko Instruments Inc. put in sale "BrainPad TiPO," a personal
digital assistant loaded with a BTRON-specification OS (February)
- Metrowerks Inc. announced it would develop the application programming
software "Code Warrior for SII TiPO & BTRON" for "BrainPad
- Aplix Corporation developed the real-time OS "JBlend" that
combines a micro-ITRON-specification-based kernel with Sun Microsystems
Inc.'s Java OS (December)
- Personal Media Corporation announced the BTRON3-specification-based
OS "3B/V" (tentative name), which can handle 100,000 kanji and
multiple languages, and the software application Genkoo purosessa [manuscript
New Admissions of TRON Association Members Follow in Succession (list
includes those in the process of admission approval procedures)
The following nine companies and one organization:
- Access Co., Ltd.
- Advanced Data Controls Corp.
- Aplix Corporation
- Citizen Watch Co., Ltd.
- Metrowerks Inc.
- Mentor Graphics Japan Co., Ltd.
- Nihon Cygnus Solutions
- Optrum, Inc.
- Seiko Instruments Inc.
- Japan Systems House Association
On the Distribution of the Public Relations Pamphlet
"The TRON Project 1998"
We are offering to persons who desire it a public relations pamphlet
titled "The TRON Project 1998" in which we have collected outlines
and the status of activities of the basic projects and application projects
of the TRON Project. Those who would like to receive a copy should address
their request to the Secretariat of the TRON Association.
- TRON Association
- 5th Floor, Katsuta Bldg.
- 1-3-39 Mita, Minato-ku
- Tokyo 108, Japan
- Tel.: +81-3-3454-3191
- Fax: +81-3-3454-3224